Problems with Wiring a 230Vac oulet

Ground loops are the most common cause of AC line frequency hum in sound systems. Ground loop problems can be corrected and avoided. Also other electrical wiring related topics can be discussed here.

Problems with Wiring a 230Vac oulet

Postby KHINDT on Wed May 23, 2007 4:29 am

I have recently purchased a A/C unit that requires 230Vac @ 15amps. I have installed an outlet for this purpose and wired it to a 2 pole 120/240v 15 amp circuit breaker using 12ga 2 Wire cable (2-Hot and 1-Ground) When the voltage is checked at the outlet with my voltage meter it shows that each of the prong holes in the outlet has 120Vac. Does this mean I have 240V here? When I plug in the A/C unit and check the power at the capasitor it shows that I only have 120Vac. Why can I not get 240V to this outlet?

Please Someone Help!

Thanks.
KHINDT

Outlet wiring problem

Postby Tomi Engdahl on Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:23 am

When the voltage is checked at the outlet with my voltage meter it shows that each of the prong holes in the outlet has 120Vac. Does this mean I have 240V here?

Separately measuring 120V on each prong does not necessarily mean 240V between those two prongs. The voltage between those two prong can be something else as well. To know what that voltage between those prongs is, measure the voltage between them.

Some possible voltages you can get between the prongs (in all cases you get 120V between one prong and ground/neutral):
- 240V when those are correctly connected two two different live supply wires that go to normal electrical panels in USA
- 0V when you have accidentally connected the both prongs to same live bus side on the electrical distribution panel
- 207V when the power going to the outlet is taken from two phases of a three phase 120V/207V power distribution system

When I plug in the A/C unit and check the power at the capasitor it shows that I only have 120Vac.

That's strange.

I can't imagine a wiring where you get 120V between prongs and also on your other measurements...

Why can I not get 240V to this outlet?

Somehow it is not correctly wired. I can't point out where the problem exactly is.
Tomi Engdahl
Site Admin

Return to Ground loop problems and Electrical wiring