Kemo M125 Relay module 8-channel for PC

Have you just recently bought or used a new electronics tool or product that was very good or something other readers should avoid? Post your comments and product test results here.

Kemo M125 Relay module 8-channel for PC

Postby Tomi Engdahl on Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:05 am

Product: Kemo M125
Product type: 8-channel semiconductor relay module that connects to PC parallel port, comes with controlling software
Product home page: http://www.kemo-electronic.com/en/module/m125/
Manufacturer: Kemo Electric
http://www.kemo-electronic.com/
Price: around 33 Euros
Place whee bought: Bebek http://www.bebek.fi/

Manufacturer product description:
Relay module for switching up to 8 different appliances, lamps or motors according to a computer program (software is enclosed). The installed solid-state-relays may switch voltages up to 40V and loads up to 0,4A (DC) or 0,2A (AC). The module is operated at the printer port LPT1.

Comments:

This kit works. It has eight opto-isolated outputs that can be easily controlled though data pins on the PC parallel port. The isolation works as claimed and can control light loads nicely. The device can be controlled with the software that comes with the card, or many other third party software that can control parallel port pins. If you are looking for simple optoisolated output for PC, this could be a good product even if you do not use the original software. If you want to write your own software, my instructions at http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html can be used to implement your own software.

The manufacturer lists the necessary technical data on the output capablilities, but I could not find anywhere anythign how good the isolation between the PC and output is. It woudl be a good to know the isolation voltage to check if this is useful in any demanding application.
Other downsides are (the manufacturer mentions this), that the outputs are not specifically protected agains overcurrent (can be damaged if yu try to push too much current through them) and that the module cannot be repaired if you happen to damage it.

Other things that I did not specifically like are that the output connector and the connector that plugs to PC are bith 25 pin D connector, male goes to PC LPT1 and the output connector is female. The downside of using similar connectors on both sides could be potantially dangerous on systems that are put up and put back to boxes often by different people. You could accidentally forget to put the module between the parallel port before the controlled load (the connector would plug in nicely) with damanginf and expensive consequences: damaged parallel port on your PC.

I have used this module as part of interface that interfaced the PC parallel port output to a lighting control system (0-10V interface) successfully. The voltage and current range looks so that the module outputs would interface nicely to 24V industrial audiomation systems.
And there is also possibility to control small relays or small loads directly (in those applications I would think adding some etra ptotection to avoid frying the module in case of wiring errors or spike caused by inductive load would be a good idea...)

The control software is designed to work with "normal" PC parallel ports. The software works with paralle ports on the PC motherboard, and also works with extra parallel ports on old computer that had ISA bus. The software that comes with the card (like many other similar parallel port controlling software) does not seem to work with extra parallel ports that plug to PCI bus or USB (those are accessed somewhat differently at hardware level).

Last edited by Tomi Engdahl on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomi Engdahl
Site Admin

More details on M125

Postby Tomi Engdahl on Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:02 pm

It seems that this Kemo M125 includes 8 solid state relay / optomos components in it, just wired to the parallel port.

I did few measurements to figure out what some details how thei device is built and for what it woudl be suitable. I did meausremetns, because opening he device did not give view to circuit details (they are inside some plastic / resin you can't see through).

With some multimeter testing I fould out that the data pins 2-9 are connected and then pin 25. All other pins looked like they were not connected to anything. It looked like those pins that are connected consist of some kind of LED (optocoupler / SSR input) and some series resistor.
So the computer side of the circuit inside the device I quess would be something like this:

The exception would be that the signal ground is connected only to pin 25.

Other measurements:

I connected different voltages to the circuit inputs and measured currents:

0V = 0mA
1.1V = 0.09 mA
1.6V = 0.8 mA
3.3V = 3.8 mA
4.6V = 6.0 mA
5V = 6.8 mA

Based on this it seems that the SSR input diode has a voltage drop of slightly over one volt. And the resesistor on the circuit looks to have around 450-500 ohms value. My quess is that 470 ohms is used as series resistor.
Tomi Engdahl
Site Admin

Return to Product Tests and Comments